WD 190 (Operational)
WD 190 was built in 1952 by the Hunslet Engine Company Ltd. of Leeds to the famous Austerity saddle tank design. This was a slight modification of Hunslet’s own design which was carried out by Mr R. A. Riddles during his wartime years with the Ministry of Supply. WD 190 was built for the War Department and sent to Long Marston for use by the Army. It also saw service at Bicester before transfer to the Royal Engineers at Shoeburyness, Essex in 1968. WD 190 was purchased for preservation in 1971 and after a brief spell at the East Anglian Railway Museum, became the first locomotive to arrive at the Colne Valley Railway in September 1973.
WD 190 has been the mainstay of steam services at the Railway and has ‘clocked up’ many more miles than any other locomotive. This locomotive bears Army olive green livery. WD190 was incidentally the first of the final batch of eleven locomotives of the same design which totalled 391 locomotives for army use. Some 49 of these locomotives have been preserved.
WD 200 (Under Restoration)
WD 200 was part of the same batch of Austerity locomotives as WD190 above but it was built in 1953. WD 200 was sent to the Longmoor Military Railway and in 1955 it also went to Bicester before transfer to the Royal Engineers at Shoeburyness, Essex in 1966. WD 200 was purchased for preservation in 1971 by the Kent & East Sussex Railway, but was declared redundant in 2014 and then bought by Colne Valley Railway.
When it arrived WD 200 required a major overhaul which is currently being undertaken by the Railway’s engineering team and it is likely to return to steam in 2020.
Jupiter (Under Restoration)
Jupiter was built in 1951 by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn Ltd. of Newcastle and was one of a batch of nine locomotives for Stewart and Lloyds Ironstone Mining Co. Ltd. of Corby. The design of these locomotives was similar to the Austerity saddle tank, the main differences were smaller diameter wheels and a shorter saddle tank which gave them a rather ungainly appearance, but with a tractive effort of 26,500 lbs they were capable of hauling very heavy iron ore trains. Jupiter began its career at Gretton Brook Quarry but was later moved to Market Overton Quarry and then Buckminster Quarry from where it was purchased for preservation in 1970.
Jupiter was moved to the East Anglian Railway Museum and was offered for sale again in 1985. The Colne Valley Railway was successful in purchasing Jupiter and it went into service immediately after arrival at Castle Hedingham. It is currently undergoing a major overhaul with an estimated completion of 2025.
Barrington (Stored out of use)
The oldest locomotive to be found at the Railway is Barrington which was built by the Avonside Engine Co. Ltd. of Bristol in 1921. It was built for the Rugby Cement Co. Ltd., Rugby, where it worked for over 30 years until transfer to the cement works at Barrington near Cambridge. Barrington was purchased for preservation in 1971 and went to the East Anglian Railway Museum. In 1973 it was moved to the Great Central Railway at Loughborough where it probably achieved its greatest claim to fame as it was called upon to haul No. 71000 Duke of Gloucester from the unloading point at Quorn, to Loughborough engine shed. Barrington arrived at the Colne Valley Railway in 1974 following which it gave many years of service. The locomotive is owned by the Avonside Locomotive Society and now carries its original light green livery.
No. 1 (Static exhibit)
No. 1 was built by Hawthorn Leslie Ltd. of Newcastle in 1923. It was the first of a batch of five similar locomotives built for the Associated Portland Cement Co. of Swanscombe, Kent. These locomotives provided the inspiration for Percy when Rev. W. Awdry wrote the Thomas the Tank Engine stories. No. 1 worked at Swanscombe until 1970 when it was acquired by the Gravesend Railway Enthusiasts Society, who moved it to the South Eastern Steam Centre at Ashford.
No. 1 was transferred to the Colne Valley Railway in June 1977 but the cost of restoring the locomotive to full working order was found to be prohibitive, so it has been externally restored and is now a static educational exhibit.
Class 03 Diesel Mechanical Shunting Locomotives – D2041 & D2184 (Operational)
The Colne Valley Railway is home to two former British Railway diesel shunting locomotives, the design of which dates to 1947 when a locomotive built by the Drewry Car Co was trialled by the LNER. The design was then ordered by British Railways, initially being built by Drewry (Class 04) then in BR’s own workshops at Swindon and Doncaster (class 03). The class once numbered 230 and were used for shunting purposes in freight yards and pilot duties at large stations all over the country. They are powered by a Gardner 8L3 diesel engine rated at 204 bhp and drive through a fluid flywheel (acts as an automatic clutch), five speed gearbox and a forward & reverse final drive. They are capable of 28½ mph in either direction.
Built at Swindon Works, D2041 was delivered to Ipswich shed in April 1959 and was the regular station pilot for several years during which time it was maintained in immaculate condition with all the brasswork in the cab beautifully polished. In 1966 D2041 was transferred to the Southern Region where it worked from Norwood Junction, Guildford, Eastleigh and Selhurst sheds until withdrawal from BR service in February 1970. D2041 was then purchased by the Central Electricity Generating Board and was used at Richborough, Barking and Rye House power stations until 1980 when it was offered for sale in full working order. The locomotive was purchased for use on the Colne Valley Railway where it arrived on 5th January 1981. It was immediately put to work and has given sterling service ever since.
D2184 was built in 1962 at Swindon Works. It had a working life on British Railways of only six and a half years, all of which were spent in South Wales working from Llanelli, Swansea (Danygraig), Neath, Whitland and Swansea (Landore) sheds. Put to store at Worcester in August 1968, D2184 was withdrawn from BR service the following December. It was then purchased by the National Coal Board for use at Southend Coal Concentration Depot where it shunted wagons on a short length of track and positioned them over an unloader. D2184 was purchased by the Colne Valley Railway in October 1986 and arrived in full working order.
No. 4007 (Stored out of use)
Built by Hibberd in 1947, No. 4007 was delivered new to Canning Town Glass Works where it operated until 1961 when the works closed. It then worked at United Glass Ltd., Ravenhead Works, Lancashire and Lowton Metals, Haydock, Merseyside before arrival at the Colne Valley Railway in February 1982.
No. 281266 (Operational)
Built by Ruston & Hornsey at Lincoln, this is an example of their larger diesel shunting locomotive, the 165DS. It worked at the Brigg (Humberside) and Kings Lynn factories of British Sugar until 1994 before preservation at County School on the Mid Norfolk Railway. It moved to the Colne Valley Railway in 1998 and is owned by two CVR members.
Diesel Railcars No. M55033 (Operational)
W55033 is a class 121 vehicle which was built by Pressed Steel Limited in 1960. It was delivered new to Bristol Bath Road depot and worked on branch lines in the West Country. It also worked from Plymouth, Cardiff and Tyseley from where it was withdrawn from BR service in 1994. The vehicle is notable as it was part of the last train on the Maiden Newton to Bridport line in Dorset in 1975 and was painted in a unique “Midline” livery by Tyseley Depot, Birmingham in 1986. W55033 arrived at the Colne Valley Railway in 1995 and was loaned to the East Kent Light Railway for nine months in 1996/7. It is owned by Pressed Steel Heritage Ltd.